Sunday, September 1, 2013

Within the first few chapters, I... by Paula Rose Michelson

My 5 Star Review of author Christoph Fisher's  "The Luck of the Weissensteiners." As a Jew who not only read The Diary of Anne Frank, but had the unique opportunity of hearing Mr. Frank speak about those days, and buy this timeless classic from him while he was in Los Angeles during the filming of the movie, I thought I had read and understood the pre-war effects upon the Jews and the hidden, and sometimes, not so hidden Anti-Semitism. Yet within the first few chapters, I realized that author Christoph Fisher' historical fiction "The Luck of the Weissensteiners, Volume One" was more deeply researched than any other fiction, and there have been hundreds of them, that I have read on this period.


Until I read this book, I could not fathom, with Anti-Semitism a prevailing reality, how Jews and non-Jews could ever choose to wed, and the horror when a spouse chose to disavow that union and anything tainted by it to survive. Within this touching story I found the answer and experienced a reality I hadn't since I read Anne Frank's book.


Today we are hearing about atrocities throughout the world and statesmen seem to want to perpetuate the myth that doing nothing is really doing something. While reading this heartbreaking story of love, fear and prejudice without the usual stereotypes and predictable situations, I was reminded that this is what happens when good people turn their back.


For me this fiction was a wake-up call for when a President and a Congress look at the dollars and cents of intervention instead of the inhumanity of what is occurring, and I discover that a historical fiction shows us that today's issues are tomorrow's history, I realize that a new standard for writers to aspire to has been achieved! Well done!
http://www.amazon.com/Weissensteiners-Three-Nations-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00AFQC4QC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378074999&sr=8-1&keywords=Christoph+Fischer

No comments:

Post a Comment